Monday 4 January 2010

Back to reality

After a wonderful two weeks I am now back to reality.
People think it must be so great being a teacher because you get all those holidays, but honestly I was ill on the last week of term and just as I have got back to school my cold has finally gone. Literally I was ill for the whole of the holiday.
However in spite of this my mental state was certainly improved. Over the last two weeks I have felt normal, I have felt much more like myself. Not depressed or unhappy, not stressed out or constantly tired. It was truly bliss.
I did feel very anxious about going back yesterday, and rightfully so because it has been a very stressful day that didn't end till 6.00. A ten hour day!
When I got in I was instantly bombarded with things from my head of department and was quickly brought back to reality when I opened my diary to find that I have a standardisation meeting in London tomorrow, year 9, 10 and 11 tracking, that's four classes of tracking due in on Friday, year 9 parents evening next Wednesday and a trip to the Tate Modern next Thursday.
Its crazy, already I feel tense, under pressure and stressed. Not to mention the fact that only two pupils from a class of 24 completed any of their art coursework over the holidays. (Partly why I was at school till 6.00, phoning parents.)
After school we had a departmental meeting which seemed to go on forever, and I had to stay longer to discuss KS3 and KS4 which the other classroom teachers don't teach.
I am looking forward to the standardisation tomorrow, but not the traveling into London for it. All in all, not a good start to the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment