Tuesday 24 November 2009

objecting to learning objectives

Ok, so I am going to be a bit controvertial today. Basically, everything to do with teaching a good lesson is centered on the idea that children must be aware of what they are learning. Every since I began my journey through education I have been told that at the beginning of the lesson we must tell the pupils what the learning objectives are and at the end of the lesson we should review the learning objecties to find out if they were achieved. No one in my three years of education has been able to tell me why this has to be done, and no one has been able to show me any statistical evidence as to any positive effects this has on the childrens learning.
This is extrememly frustrating seeing as we have to go throuigh this palava every single lesson, ever OFSTED insist that they should be able to ask a child in their lesson what it is they are learning and the child should be able to say.
To me this is totally ludicrous, and I will explain why.
I believe that children do learn even when (shock horror) they are not being told what it is they are learning. This concept of giving learning objectives is rediculous not only because children learn much more in a lesson than what the teacher writes up on the board (usually just three or four objectives) but also because it gives children the improssion that they are only learning the things that they are being told they are learning.
This is not only stupid, but also damaging because the children begin to believe at times other than lessons, or when taking part in other activities, they are not learning.
I am yet to find any evidence to back up my theory but intend on doing some research and perhaps writing an essay on it for my MA in Teaching and Learning. I think the state have got it very wrong.
I really need to concentrate my thoughts on this matter better, be more articulate with it, and try and find someone who agrees with me and has written about it.
For cinc children to address what they are learning

No comments:

Post a Comment